Obituary of T.F. Thompson
Thomas Flettre Thompson was born in Voss, Norway September 7, 1832 and died in
Leland, Illinois January 1, 1908
He came to America with his parents Thormod S. and Ingeborg (Lydel) Flettre in
1844 and located in Norway, Racine Co. Wisconsin. At the age of 14 he was
confirmed in the Lutheran Church.
Mr. Thompson remained in the family home in Wisconsin until 1852 then he left
for Chicago, Illinois; his father moving to Leland in 1853 after his mother's
death in Norway, Wisconsin. In 1854 Mr. Thompson went to Leland where he was
in partnership for two years with A. A. Klove. After this he went to Atchinson
County, Kansas where he and John and Ole Nelson of Chicago ran a sawmill for
After his return to Leland he was employed for a time in a drygoods store
owned by Hans Thompson. In 1861 Mr. Thompson and Thomas Iverson began to deal
in grain at Leland and they continued to do so until 1866 when Mr. Thompson
disposed of his interest and was for a time associated with C.F. Oakfield in
the same business. He then moved to Creston, Illinois where for 8 years he was
engaged in merchandising. Returning to Leland he formed a partnership with
Knute Buland and bought the grain business of C.F. Oakfield who had died just
before that time.
In 1883 A.N. Anderson bought Mr. Buland's interest in the business adding a
banking department in 1896 until 1901 when they disposed of their grain
business in the Neola Elevator Company and transferred their banking interest
to the newly organized Farmers and Merchants State Bank of which Mr. Thompson
remained an officer acting as president until his death.
As an acting Republican he served several terms as town clerk and also filled
other important offices.
He married Caroline S. Satter daughter of Ole T. Satter on June 18, 1861. She
bore Mr. Thompson 10 children and died deeply mourned in 1890. Six of the
children are living. Louis T., Salters Depot, N.C., Stanley Oran, Cora M. and
Mrs. Nellie Thompson of Leland, Mrs. Jennet Grover and Mrs. Charlotte Burke of
Mr. Thompson was highly respected by all fellow citizens. Public spirited
there were few movements for the public weal in which he did not at all times
take a lively interest. The funeral was held from the Lutheran Church last
Saturday afternoon and the large edifice full to overflowing with neighbors
and friends anxious to pay their last respects. Revs. J. C. Roseland and H.
K. Vernon of Leland performed the last rites both speaking feelingly of the