LaSalle County

John S. Armstrong

Ottawa Republican Times, August 3, 1899

Died--At the residence of his son-in-law, Samuel E. Parr, 714 Chapel street, at 8 o'clock Friday evening, Hon John S. Armstrong, aged 89 One of the earliest settlers in LaSalle county was John S. Armstrong. He was born in Somerset county, Pennsylvania, May 29, 1810. His parents removed to Ohio a year or two later, locating in Hicking county. His early education was secured in the log school house in Ohio, and in his younger days he did teaming across the Alleghany mountains. In August, 1829 he came to Illinois, locating first in Marshall county, where he built a cabin and blacksmith shop, which he sold two years later and located in what is now Deer Park township. He resided there until 1834, when he located in Mission township, on the farm that he resided upon continuously until he retired from active work and finally came to live with his son-in-law, S. E. Parr.

Mr. Armstrong was married on New Year's day, 1834, to Miss Margaret Trumbo, who died some three years ago. There were ten children born to them, but only three are now living-------- Mrs. S. E. Parr, of this city, and Mrs. H. D. Barber and Joseph Armstrong, of Sheridan. Besides his children, Mr. Armstrong leaves three brothers, Hon. G. W. Armstrong, of Brookfield, Hon. Perry A. Armstrong, of Morris, and Isaiah Armstrong, who lives near Sacramento, California.

LaSalle county had few better known men than John S. Armstrong. He was one of her earliest settlers and was known in all corners of the county. He became identified with the grange movement, was its treasurer for three years and for years was one of the leading men in it in Illinois. He took an interest in politics though he never held any office except in his own township. Since he removed to Ottawa he has lived very quietly at home. He was ill but a short time, not being considered ill at all until nearly midnight Thursday, when he was attacked by a sinking spell, from which he recovered sufficiently to recognize his relatives yesterday morning, but soon relapsed and sank gradually to the end.

The funeral took place on Monday afternoon at 1:30 at the residence of S. E. Parr. The interment took place at Millington, the remains being taken up on the Burlington train at 2:10.
Contributed by Bertha Emmett

Visit Our Neighbors
Lee DeKalb Kane
Bureau Kendall
Putnam Grundy
Marshall Woodford Livingston

Search the Archives