Samuel Edward Jones, agent at Earlville, Illinois, for the Chicago,
Burlington and Quincy Railroad Company, has held this position since October
1, 1895. He has been in the employ of this company since September, 1887,
when, at the age of twenty, he began his railroad career. His first service
was as a bill clerk in the freight office at Aurora. Illinois, a position he
held from September, 1887, to July, 1888. He was then transferred to North
Aurora, as agent, and was there for a period of six months, after which he
was made relief agent and as such was on the road for about a year and a
half, relieving other agents at various stations. Next he was day operator
at Western Avenue Station, Chicago, six months, following which he became
station agent at Grand Ridge, Illinois, a position he filled for seven
years, and from there being sent to his present place at Earlville. The fact
that he has remained constantly for so long a period in the employ of the
same railroad is ample evidence of his ability as station agent and
Mr. Jones was born in New Salem, Pennsylvania, January 16, 1867, only son and one of a family of three children of William M. and Mary J. (Harn) Jones, natives of Pennsylvania. In 1884 Mr. Jones brought his family west, seeking a change of location on account of the ill health of our subject, the family home being established at Grand Ridge. Illinois. Being of a delicate constitution in his boyhood, Samuel E. was kept away from school much of the time, and thus his educational advantages were limited. He is practically a self-made man.
At Grand Ridge, in 1890, Mr. Jones married Miss Anna E. Lewis, who was born near that place. They are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Jones' parents still reside at Grand Ridge, Illinois. His father was a Union soldier in the civil war, serving as a private in Company C, One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Infantry, and while engaged in battle at Missionary Ridge lost his left arm.
Extracted 19 Aug 2017 by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois, published in 1900, volume 2, pages 504-505.