During the years 1895 and 1896 William A. Jeffery was the efficient and popular chairman of the Republican township central committee at Ottawa. He is considered one of the most loyal workers in the party in this locality, and, at the same time, he is not an office-seeker, never having had aspirations in that direction. He firmly believes in the usefulness and wisdom of the party principles and seeks to promulgate its beneficent doctrines. In the order of the Knights of Pythias he is an esteemed member, and at present he occupies the honored position of major of the second battalion of the Uniformed Rank.
For the past twelve or thirteen years Mr. Jeffery has been a resident of Ottawa. He is engaged in contracting and building and has his business office at No. 325 Madison street. Many of the best houses of thetown have been erected by him, or under his direction, and examples of his handicraft are to be seen upon every side. Upright and honorable in all his transactions, faithful in the carrying out of his contracts, whether verbal or written, he justly ranks high among the business men of this place.
Thomas Jeffery, the father of our subject, was born in New York state, and was of English descent. He married a Miss Mary Andrews, who passed to her reward in 1893, and to this worthy couple nine children were born. All of the children, save William A., are residents of Michigan. In order of birth they are named as follows: William A.; Leanora; John; Milo; Lillie; Elton; Edward; Hattie; and Ivia. The father has made agriculture the main business of his life, and in this he has been quite successful. In his political adherency he is a Democrat.
The birth of William A. Jeffery took place on the old homestead hi Wayne county, Michigan, September 27, 1850. He received the benefitsof a good common and high school education, and was thus qualified for the battle of life. Subsequently to his graduation in the Howell high, school he commenced learning the carpenter's trade, and in 1882 he came to Illinois, where he has since been busily engaged in his chosen vocation. On New Year's day, 1878, a marriage ceremony performed in Marseilles, Illinois, united the destinies of William A. Jeffery and Miss Florence Irwin, a daughter of Richard Irwin, ex-county superintendent. Three sons and a daughter grace the union of our subject and wife, namely: Mary,, Amos, Ray and Frank.
Extracted by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois published in 1900, volume 1, pages 148-149.