George Holland, a hardware merchant of Mendota, was born in the city of Albany, New York, September 8, 1852, and is a son of Nicholas and Anna (Strausner) Holland, both natives of Germany, but residents of the state of New York at the time of their marriage. In 1856 they came to Mendota, where the father worked at his trade of plasterer and mason until his death, which occurred in his sixty-fourth year. Six children were born to them, George, Maggie, August, deceased, Hannah, deceased, Sophia and John. The mother is a resident of Chicago, making her home with a daughter.
George Holland was but three years of age when his parents moved to this city, and it was here he received his education in the public schools. He began work at the age of fifteen as clerk in the hardware store of Hodge Brothers. Later he accepted a clerkship with Curtis & Rude, with whom he remained twenty-five years. In 1894 Mr. Rude withdrew from the firm and his place was taken by Mr. Holland, who purchased the interest of Mr. Curtis in 1897, and now conducts the store under the name of Holland & Company, with Mr. Rude as a silent partner. He handles a general line of hardware and has worked up a fine trade, his courteous treatment of his customers making him a popular salesman, and his long experience giving him the advantage of knowing the wants of his patrons and the best fine of goods to place in stock.
He was married in 1876 to Miss Ella Cooper, of Mendota, who has presented him with four children, two of whom are deceased. He is a Republican and was elected to the office of city clerk in 1885, and has held the office continuously since, discharging the duties in an able and efficient manner. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America, and is highly respected as well for his kindly bearing as for his honest and upright dealings, while his business record calls for the commendation of the business men.
Extracted 26 Dec 2016 by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois published in 1900, volume 2, pages 423-424.