Biography - WILLIAM E. PRICHARD
The owner and manager of Highland Stock Farm, William E. Prichard, is well known throughout LaSalle and adjoining counties. He is an honored veteran of the civil war, as when eighteen years of age, in February, 1863, he enlisted in the Second Ohio Heavy Artillery and served until the close of the conflict between the north and south. He had as his commanding officers Captains Stevenson, Downey and Tompson, and his record as a brave and trusted soldier is one of which he has just reason to be proud. He is an active worker in the Republican party; is a Grand Army man, and a Mason in high standing.
Born in Licking county. Ohio, in 1845, our subject is a son of David and Ruth (Lewis) Prichard, the former a native of Wales and the latter of New York state. The father died in LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1882. During his youth William E. Prichard attended the public schools, and subsequent to his coming to this state in 1866 he was a student at Eowler's Institute at Newark for some time. Later he taught school for a few terms. Since 1871 he has made his home in Ottawa.
In April, 1871, Mr. Prichard married Miss Harriet Johnson, a daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Statler) Johnson. Jennie, the first child born to our subject and wife, died at the age of four years. Fred S. and Arthur D., twins, were born November 25, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. Prichard are members of the Baptist church, the former having had charge of the music for many years.
For thirty years W. E. Prichard has been engaged in importing, breeding and dealing in fine draft horses, particularly Percherons, of which he always keeps a large number on hand. One of the best Percherons ever brought over, Napoleon III., came into his possession in 1871. It is said of him that he handles more high-grade horses each year than any other man in the county. His premises are commodious and convenient, his large stables being at South Ottawa and his farm two and a half miles from that point.
Extracted by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois published in 1900, volume 1, pages 84-85.