Biography - JULIUS L. LEIX
A representative young business man of Ottawa, Julius L. Leix is of German ancestry, and possesses the sterling traits of the Teutonic race. Like all patriotic Americans, he is actively interested in whatever is of benefit to the community in which he dwells, and to that end he uses his ballot and influence.
He is one of the seven children of Dionys and Victoria (Rapp) Leix, who were natives of Germany. Mrs. Leix departed this life July 30, 1899. His brothers and sisters are named as follows: John, Joseph, Frank, Kate, Sophia, and Victoria. Kate became the wife of George Jobst, of Ottawa; Sophia is the wife of L. S. Ball, of LaSalle county; and Victoria married Robert Richardson.
The birth of Julius L. Leix took place in this town, October 17, 1870, and with his brothers and sisters he acquired thorough knowledge of both the English and German languages in his childhood. For several years he has been engaged in the hotel business, for which he seems to have special talent, and is widely known and popular among the traveling public and his local patrons. His father was the manager of the Washington House m this place for some time, but has retired. Julius L. is the proprietor of the National Hotel, which is centrally situated, at No. 303 Main street. The building, which is a commodious, modern brick structure, sixty by seventy feet in dimensions, and three stories in height, was erected just ten years ago. It is furnished with fire escapes, is heated by steam and is fitted out in every way in a neat, attractive manner. There are forty-five rooms in the hotel, thus affording guests abundant opportunity of choice and location.
In 1897 Mr. Leix married Miss Carrie Kummer, of Ottawa, and one child, Andrew, has blessed the union of the young couple. Fraternally Mr. Leix belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the German Benevolent Society. Politically he is independent, using his franchise for the men and principles instead of party.
Extracted by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois published in 1900, volume 1, pages 341-342.