Biography - EDWARD W. BACH
Edward W. Bach, the secretary of the Standard Fire Brick Company, is a young man whose business ability is far beyond his years, and was prominently connected with the leading manufacturing interests of the city of Ottawa, Illinois, before he had attained his twenty-first year. He enjoys a wide acquaintance throughout the surrounding country, and is one of our most popular citizens.
He was born in this city in October, 1872, his parents being Andrew E. and Mary L. Bach. His father was a native of the state of New York, having been born at Manlius, Madison county, November 5, 1848, and at the age of eight years moved with his parents to this city, where he has since lived. After passing through the public-school curriculum he learned the trade of a wagon and carriage maker, following it for years. He has long been considered one of the best accountants in the city and most reliable. He served as assessor and collector of Ottawa township, and was then chosen deputy circuit clerk, performing the duties in such an able manner that he was appointed to the office of deputy county clerk in 1894, and is now one of the most popular men in the county.
Edward Bach was educated in the schools of his native city, graduating at the high school and finishing a good business education with a course in the Ottawa Commercial College. In 1892 he accepted a position as bookkeeper for Thomas D. Catlin, at the same time holding other responsible positions. The year previous he had charge of the books of Hess, Crotty & Williams' brick factory, also the Brickton and Dayton factories' books. In November, 1895, the Standard Fire Brick Company, of Ottawa, Illinois, was organized and put in operation with a capital stock of twenty-five thousand dollars. John W. Channel was made president and general manager, Thomas D. Catlin vice-president and treasurer, and E. W. Bach secretary. They purchased the Dayton property, consisting of a large fourstory stone, and a three-story frame building, with clay lands, water power and machinery. Soon after they purchased of Hess, Crotty & Williams the latter's brick factory at Brickton, and took control in May, 1896, increasing their capital stock to fifty thousand dollars. Both plants are fully equipped with the most approved modern machinery and the output of their factories are considered among the best goods on the market. They have excellent shipping facilities, as they are happily located on the line of two railroads, the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy at Dayton, and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific at the Ottawa factory, with private sidetracks at each. This is among the most important enterprises of Ottawa, and Mr. Bach has labored earnestly to make it the success it has proved to be.
Mr. Bach is a member of Occidental Lodge, No. 40, A. F. & A. M., also of Shabbona Chapter, No. 37, R. A. M., and Ottawa Commandery, No. 10, Knights Templar.
Extracted by Norma Hass from Biographical and Genealogical Record of LaSalle County, Illinois published in 1900, volume 1, pages 97-98.